dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AVI - MPEG2 - TMPGEnc freezes on elementary streams (all)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gridpipethynne

PostPosted: Fri 8 Jul 2005, 21:54    Post subject: AVI - MPEG2 - TMPGEnc freezes on elementary streams (all) Reply with quote

If you are familiar with TMPGEnc, please see if you can spot what I might be doing wrong!

I am using TMPGEnc 2.524 to convert large (36GB) AVI files to MPEG2 format and I have been using Rui del-Negro's suggested high quality settings in
http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html

The method he suggests worked first time very well (thanks Rui) - I made my video (m2v) and audio (mp2) files separately, as Rui suggests, as elementary streams and combined them in TMPGE DVD author.

Now, when I try to run the exact same files again, the exact same way, TMPGEnc freezes (on both audio and video attempts) for about ten minutes and Task Manager shows "not responding". Then, after about 15 minutes, TMPGEnc apparently starts to decode and produces a file of the right name and size - but this file cannot be run (when made into a DVD OR on Windows Media) - it's just blank. I don't think I have changed any settings.

I checked my AVI file on Windows Media and it runs fine. I took a small clip of the AVI (using my editor) and THAT runs immediately and perfectly in TMPGE. I can also make my AVI run on TMPGE if I select as my stream "System" instead of Elementary Stream (ES)".

(Computer is P4 3GHz 1 MB RAM running WIN2K.)

Thanks
Grid
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 9 Jul 2005, 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try changing the priority of the import filters, as described here (ex., give DirectShow the highest priority and, if that doesn't work, give AVI2 the highest priority).

RMN
~~~
Gridpipethynne

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2005, 0:31    Post subject: AVI - MPEG2 TMPGEnc Freezes Reply with quote

Thank you, RMN - I tried DirectShow and AVI2 as priority 1 with no change but when I tried AVI VFW I had immediate success. My AVI was encoded by the Canopus ADVC50 card, in case anybody else has this problem.

I really appreciate your help RMN, I did not want to commit to yet another conversion software when TMPGE had already become almost - comfortable.
Grid
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2005, 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Regular (VfW) AVI files shouldn't be able to have more than 2 GB. I remember Canopus used to use "reference" AVI files, which were actually one file with references to multiple other files (and those were compatible with VfW, and could avoid the 2GB limit), but I thought they had abandoned them in favour of "true" AVI2 (OpenDML) files 2 or 3 years ago. I guess not.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: