dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Sony D8 camcorder film in true widescreen?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch

PostPosted: Sun 2 Oct 2005, 18:56    Post subject: Do Sony D8 camcorder film in true widescreen? Reply with quote

My TRV820 has a 16:9 widescreen setting. Several years ago I tried filming something once and though it recorded and played back fine on the camcorder, when I fed the video signal to a standard TV the picture was vertically stretched instead of being letterboxed.

Here I am years later with a widescreen television and thinking now would be a good time to start doing all my future home movies in widescreen.

My question will come up when it is time to transfer the tapes to DVD, using TMPGenc and all of that. Is the camcorder's picture true widescreen? When I'm going through settings in TMPGenc what would I put for Source Aspect Ratio and Aspect Ratio?

Ultimately I would like to be able to create widescreen DVDs that would fill the picture on a widescreen television, but be letterboxed (instead of vertically stretched) if you played it on a standard television.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 2 Oct 2005, 20:21    Post subject: Re: Do Sony D8 camcorder film in true widescreen? Reply with quote

Technics wrote:
My TRV820 has a 16:9 widescreen setting. Several years ago I tried filming something once and though it recorded and played back fine on the camcorder, when I fed the video signal to a standard TV the picture was vertically stretched instead of being letterboxed.

That would indicate that it records in true widescreen format, yes (doesn't tell you anything about the actual capture resolution, but the recording is 16:9). Most recent 4:3 TVs have an option to letterbox a 16:9 input, and some will detect one and do it automatically.

Technics wrote:
When I'm going through settings in TMPGenc what would I put for Source Aspect Ratio and Aspect Ratio?

"16:9 Display" in both cases.

Technics wrote:
Ultimately I would like to be able to create widescreen DVDs that would fill the picture on a widescreen television, but be letterboxed (instead of vertically stretched) if you played it on a standard television.

That will depend on the TV set and player used to play the DVD. Most DVD players will take care of the letterboxing if they are connected to a TV that doesn't support 16:9, so there's no reason to worry about that.

RMN
~~~

Last edited by RMN on Sun 2 Oct 2005, 21:36; edited 1 time in total
Switch

PostPosted: Sun 2 Oct 2005, 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice on mixed-format DVD creation? Like if I wanted to put some 4:3 video and 16:9 video on the same DVD? Would having two titles on the DVD work? Or would I be better off just creating separate DVDs?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 2 Oct 2005, 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can have titles with different aspect ratios on the same DVD (and the same goes for menus). Not all authoring programs will let you do that, though.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: