dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Widescreen videos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch

PostPosted: Fri 9 Dec 2005, 18:21    Post subject: Widescreen videos Reply with quote

I'm importing a laserdisc that is "presented in a matted widescreen format preserving the original aspect ratio. The black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for this format."

That makes sense. But when it comes time to rendering in TMPGenc, do I choose 16:9 as the aspect ratio and source? Or is 4:3 the source ratio (since it's a matted widescreen) and 16:9 the aspect ratio?

And am I going to have to resort to the "clip frame" settings to eliminate the black bars, then select 16:9, and go from there?

I want to make a full-tilt widescreen DVD out of it.
Switch

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured out that, yes, I am going to have to clip the frame to eliminate the black bars out of the picture. I'm still confused on the aspect ratios, though. I know the final aspect ratio will be 16:9 so that's not bothering me too much, but the source ratio is throwing me off, especially since I'll be clipping.

Oh well, I've set both for 16:9 with Center as the video arrange method. In seven hours I'll know if I chose right or not. Smile
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cut the black bars, and tell TMPGEnc to create a 16:9 file, it will have to stretch every frame vertically. Takes a long time and you don't gain any quality (you're just stretching the original image). Leave it as it is, with the bars, and select 4:3 for both input and output. That will preserve the original quality and won't need any resizing. Most 16:9 TVs have a "zoom" option (often automatic) that will detect a 16:9 image in a 4:3 signal, and scale it to full screen.

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of the Zoom feature on my HD LCD, so I was hoping to just avoid that. It zooms, but doesn't quite detect where the black bars are.
Switch

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technics wrote:
Oh well, I've set both for 16:9 with Center as the video arrange method. In seven hours I'll know if I chose right or not. Smile

It did not work. The black bars were still there, though not from the video source. It seems no vertical stretching occured at all. Do I need to choose "Full Screen" as the video arrange method? And if so, which one? Or do I need to change the source aspect ratio to 4:3?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2005, 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cut the black bars and then tell TMPGEnc to center the image, it won't stretch it. You need to use the clip frame effect and select "Full screen". Alternatively, you can select "Center (custom size)" and just stretch it "manually", without using the clip frame effect.

Set the source aspect ratio to 1:1 and the output aspect ratio to 16:9, that will prevent TMPGEnc from doing any further resizing, and will let you control everything though the custom size or clip frame values.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: