dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pal to Ntsc surprise !!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEORGE 111

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2005, 15:41    Post subject: Pal to Ntsc surprise !! Reply with quote

Hi Folks. New here and thought I'd share my recent experience of putting my home movies on DVD.
Being a little new to all this I "played " with a lot of software, free trials Galore !!.
Finally settled on DVio to transfer (capture ?) to PC . TMPGEnc 3.0 express to encode and Tsunami DVD author to burn DVD.
TMPGEnc 3.0 is an absolute joy to use and for me, the BIG surprise was I can transfer my Pal video to Pc, put the resulting AVI into TMPGEnc 3.0 EXP., Choose output as NTSC (mpeg-2) and my final disc will play in my "whiny" Sony that will reject anything that's not Region 1 Ntsc.
The trial version I used of the original TMPGEnc PLus ,also did the task, but playback with motion, had jerky/stuttering moments. With the new 3.0 express I bought , it looks perfect. Did not have to fiddle with anything, frame rate/sound etc.
It almost seems to good to be true,--Pal To Ntsc so simply ?? Very Happy Very Happy
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 1 Jul 2005, 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not technically very hard to convert digital formats from PAL to NTSC or vice-versa (the software just needs to know how to handle the fields properly). But you do lose a bit of motion fluidity and you do lose resolution, so it's usually best to keep the video in its original format (virtually all players these days can read both formats).

Of course, if your player can't, that's not an option.

RMN
~~~
GEORGE 111

PostPosted: Fri 1 Jul 2005, 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rmn. Yes, I would prefer to just leave everything in Pal, but I do have two Sony (AVDs500ES and the AVDS50ES) that will not play Pal.---Thankfully, I have a Phlips(also labeled Region 1) which will play everything.
LDK

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec 2005, 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i dont quite get it, the only 2 thing different from NTSC and Pal is the country coding and the size
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 2 Jan 2006, 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAL is 720x576 at 50 fields per second. NTSC is 720x480 at 59.94 fields per second. Then there are some issues with 24-fps DVDs with the pulldown flag, and support for MPEG audio (which is mandatory on PAL players but not on NTSC players), but the first two issues are the most important ones.

There is no "country coding"; you're probably thinking about region coding, but that is independent from the video format (ex., a region 1 DVD can be PAL or NTSC).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Authoring All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: