dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac and PC Formats of DV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpu

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2005, 0:40    Post subject: Mac and PC Formats of DV Reply with quote

Is the digital video that is captured via firewire for example the same on a Mac and PC. My PC captures via Studio 8 into AVI format.

Our local school uses Macs and the IT teacher tells me that the Mac captures into Quicktime or MOV format.

The school was going to give me some digital video on a DVD to add into a movie i am doing for the school so I sort of need to know about compatibility issues for editing purpose i guess.

Thanks
CPU
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2005, 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video data itself is identical (it was generated by the camera's encoder, not the system where it was captured). The file structure, however, is not identical between AVI and MOV (Quicktime) files.

If your software can load Quicktime files, and as long as the video is in the same standard (PAL/NTSC), you shouldn't have any problems. If your editing software can't load Quicktime files, it's probably simpler to ask them to put the video on a DV tape, and capture it directly to AVI on your system.

There are also some programs that will convert Quicktime DV files to AVI and vice-versa without recompressing (ex., look for a company called "FocusInfo" - their site appears to be down right now, but I think they sell a couple of DV format converters).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: