dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGEnc shutdown computer when finished

View previous topic :: View next topic  
royalbox

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2003, 23:16    Post subject: TMPGEnc shutdown computer when finished Reply with quote

Is there a setting somewhere, or maybe a plugin that can shutdown the computer when TMPGEnc has finished rendering?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2003, 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's very well hidden, I'd say there's no option to do that in TMPGEnc. It would be possible to do it with a script if TMPGEnc at least had an option to automatically close when it was finished, but it doesn't have that, either, so I don't see how it could be done.

You can schedule a reboot, but if TMPGEnc takes longer than the estimate, the reboot would happen even if it wasn't finished, probably corrupting the MPEG file, so that's not really an option, either.

Why don't you send Pegasys an e-mail asking them to include that in the next version? Could work (it's not that hard to do).

RMN
~~~
royalbox

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2003, 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RMN, I didn't think it could but I thought I'd check in case I'd missed it. It's sometimes good to let it render overnight while the computer's not being used for anything else, and closing down when finished would be nice. Still, nevermind.
Thanks once again.
Josse

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2003, 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Not sure if it this will work for MPEG-2, my version of TMPGEnc is MPEG-1 only. Smile )

When you start the encoding not via the [Start] button, but with File | Output to file | MPEG, after you have selected a folder and filename, a checkbox will appear below the progress bar: "Shut down after finish encoding".
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2003, 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to work with MPEG-2 also. The funny thing is, that option actually appears in TMPGEnc's normal window (at the top right), but only during encoding, and only if you start it from the menu. How hard would it be to leave the checkbox there all the time? Bad interface design. It's also not mentioned anywhere in TMPGEnc's manual or help file.

Anyway, have you actually tested it? If so, does it shutdown the system or does it just shutdown TMPGEnc? If it shuts down the system, great, problem solved. If it simply closes TMPGEnc, it should be possible to make a script that starts TMPGEnc, waits for it to close, and then shuts down the system.

RMN
~~~
Josse

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2003, 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just restarted my computer after a TMPGEnc shutdown test. Cool Nice interface design it ain't, but it does work. With the checkbox enabled you will get a 30-second-countdown requester, allowing you to cancel the shutdown. If you don't cancel, your system will power down.
royalbox

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2003, 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! Thank you. I'm in the middle of a 6 hour rendering at the moment, but I'll try that out with a short clip tomorrow. I can't understand why that isn't made more obvious. seems strange.
Josse

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2003, 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it isn't more obvious because TMPGEnc started out as a great piece of freeware which was regularly patched by Hori-San. Much of the original patchwork still lives on in the commercial version.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2003, 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

And seeing as it's not even mentioned in the TMPGEnc help file, I suspect the guys at Pegasys don't know about it, either. Perhaps we should tell them? Mr. Green

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: