dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Under-exposed scenes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
royalbox

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2003, 20:40    Post subject: Under-exposed scenes Reply with quote

I have some video scenes where the light coming from behind has caused the camera to make the subject under-exposed.

To me, the obvious thing would be to adjust the brightness using a filter in virtualdub. This gives a very flat washed-out look. Is there some other filter I'd be better off trying?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2003, 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using gamma correction, levels or combined brightness & contrast will produce better results than just increasing the brightness.

Also, you may want to increase the saturation a bit, especially if the footage was shot with a 3-CCD camera (if it was shot with a single-CCD camera, increasing the saturation, coupled with the increased brightness, will probably add too much noise).

And of course (something most people learn the hard way Wink), if you want a consistent image, always use manual exposure. In fact, if you are reasonably experienced (no need to be a pro, a vague idea of what each setting does is enough) setting everything (shutter, aperture, white balance, gain, etc.) to manual is usually a good idea. The only thing I sometimes leave set to auto is the focus, and even that, only when I'm going to be moving the camera or zooming in and out (low- and mid-range cameras usually can't keep the focus distance when you zoom).

RMN
~~~
royalbox

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2003, 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info RMN, I'll give that a go. These videos I'm transfering to DVD are my Dad's home video's on Sony 8mm taken as far back as 1986! All are auto-exposure as that's all the camera would allow as far as I know. Definately a single CCD. I'll go and search for a gamma filter for virtualdub.
Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: