dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Encodeing Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpw115

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2003, 19:39    Post subject: Encodeing Problems Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an XviD movie (23.937 fps) that i converted to mpeg2 (NTSC) useing TMPGenc. I used the manual Configuring TMPGEnc for high-quality, DVD-compliant MPEG-2 on this site to the letter!

My problem is the picture seems a little blurry, and it pauses briefly (Choppy) when i play on my ps, or my home player, every few minutes.

I was hopeing someone might know what i did wrong?

My Video Stream Settings:
Size- 608x256
Frame Rate- 29.97
2 pass VBR- Min.2000, Max.8000, Average 5000
Aspect ratio- 4:3
Motion- High Quality
Encode mode- Interlase

My Video Source Settings:
type - Non Interlase
Field order- Bottom First
Aspect- 4:3 NTSC 525 line
Arrange method- Full screen Keep aspect ratio.

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2003, 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your source file is 608x256 pixels (which is not standard, and very definitely not 4:3), then your authoring program has resized and recompressed it. Make sure that the file produced by TMPGEnc is the correct size for video (720x480, for NTSC).

The best way to ensure the file is properly resized is to do the conversion in an editing or compositing program (ex., Premiere, After effects, etc.). Then save the resized move to a new file (using low or no compression) or export directly from your editing program to TMPGEnc using a frameserver.

RMN
~~~
tpw115

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2003, 15:23    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I am useing the frameserver guide on this site.......with Premiere

But i am getting an error when i load the file!
It says cannot open that file:
File uses an unsupported compression format!

I ran this file thru GSpot and it is AC3 Audio......could this be the problem?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2003, 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get that error? In Premiere? Or in TMPGEnc?

Assuming it loads into Premiere, simply load that file, put it on the timeline, resize and retime it (to 29.97 fps, 720x480 pixels), being careful to preserve the original aspect ratio. Then follow the information in the frameserving guide to export the project from Premiere to TMPGEnc. This will export uncompressed frames, so TMPGEnc will have no problem loading them.

If you can't load the file into Premiere, things are a bit trickier. Xvid and DivX codecs are a bit strange, and some programs can't load them correctly. I don't have much experience with them (I think it's a complete waste of time to convert them to DVD - it's cheaper to get a graphics card with TV out and play them on your PC); perhaps someone in the DVRHelp.com forums will know how to make Premiere load them correctly.

RMN
~~~
tpw115

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2003, 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea....it was in premiere, i posted on dvdrhelp also....!

I have a video card, with an s-video port i can hook that up to the TV?
Or is a graphics card completely different?

Thanks for your help.....much appreciated
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2003, 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "graphics card" is the card you connect to your VGA monitor. Most modern graphics cards also have a TV output (either s-video or composite). A "video card" is usually the term used to describe a video capture card (like a DV or M-JPEG card).

DivX and Xvid are MPEG-4 based formats. MPEG-4 is more advanced than MPEG-2, and manages to get better compression for the same quality. This means that when you convert it to MPEG-2 (the format used in DVD), you will either lose quality or end up with a bigger file (often both). You also waste a lot of time in the conversion, and you have to pay for the recordable DVD.

Personally, I find it much easier to connect the TV-out to a TV (or simply watch the movies on your PC, but most people prefer to watch them on the TV). This way you can watch the original Xvid and DivX movies (and even Quicktime movies, Flash movies, etc. - anything that your PC can play). You don't waste time converting to DVD, you don't lose quality, and you don't spend money on the DVD discs. Simpler and cheaper. The only disadvantage is you need to turn on your PC when you want to see a movie, but most people leave their PC on all day, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: