dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

confusion on tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
movieweb

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2003, 12:31    Post subject: confusion on tutorial Reply with quote

hi, and thanks for the tmpgenc settings tutorial

I have a quandry though

in the quantisize matrix tab - the one thats a choice 2no half pixel motion' - your tutorial lists this as disabled - does this mean it's ticked as in 'NO half pixel motion' or unticked as in half pixel motion allowed?

Its a bit confusing - your tutorial says disabled - ticking the box will disable half pixel motion but then is a tick classed as enabled in your tutorial

Reason i ask this is that im in the uk and encoding video to dvd - my first few attempts with tmpgenc to do dvd resulted in millisecond picture freezes whilst showing dark scenes - im thinking that this might be due to this 'half pixel motion' thing as it's there for static images.

can you help

second question - whats the best setting for Pal VCD for tmpgenc? - the standard template doesnt wash really as for a start it doesnt interlace if the source isnt interlaced. a tutorial on this subject would be most welcome also.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul 2003, 18:19    Post subject: Re: confusion on tutorial Reply with quote

movieweb wrote:
in the quantisize matrix tab - the one thats a choice 2no half pixel motion' - your tutorial lists this as disabled - does this mean it's ticked as in 'NO half pixel motion' or unticked as in half pixel motion allowed?

It means the box is unchecked (i.e., the option is disabled).

movieweb wrote:
my first few attempts with tmpgenc to do dvd resulted in millisecond picture freezes whilst showing dark scenes - im thinking that this might be due to this 'half pixel motion' thing as it's there for static images.

Not sure I understand what you mean. The smallest possible duration of a frame in PAL video is 1/25th of a second (i.e., 0.04 seconds, or 40 miliseconds). So I don't see how you can have a "milisecond freeze" (which would probably be unnoticeable anyway). If your source is 24, 30 or 29.97 fps (or any other number different from 25), you will probably notice some discontinuity in motion. There isn't a lot you can do about this without some sophisticated "retiming" software.

Leaving the option above disabled should improve motion slightly, but this is a continuous thing, not individual "freezes" in the movement.

movieweb wrote:
second question - whats the best setting for Pal VCD for tmpgenc? - the standard template doesnt wash really as for a start it doesnt interlace if the source isnt interlaced.

I don't have much experience with VCD, but one thing I know is it's not interlaced, ever. VCD uses only half the vertical resolution, so it cannot be fielded. You can find more information about VCD here:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcd

RMN
~~~
movieweb

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul 2003, 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, youre right about vcd - sorry about that Wink

when i say millisecond freezes what i really mean is probarby a tenth of a second. Im aware of the ntsc to pal 'stutter' - this happens with vcd also but what i get is something totlly different

say that the opening titles are just white text on black background - like say equilibrium for example.

The title will come up and instead of fading to clack and the next line of tect appearing it just freezes and may even skip the next line of test altogether - sometimes freezing for up to a full second or even two

when the film starts with motion, no problem - but even in dark almost static scenes like if someone is facing the cam in a dark room talking - the pic will freeze on jaw movements

first i thought this may be the dvd player, but it also does it on the PC - and the resultant mpg file before its authored does it also

this only happens with tmpgemc - not with procoder, mainconcept or any other encoder.

Could it be a dodgy codec that tmpgenc is using - whats the best for direct show to use?

Im open to any suggestions - really Wink - I know that i have literally strewn the machine with codecs so maybe some need to be removed - but i use all formats of source inc divx, xvid, mpg1 etc etc - i use em all in my DVD's

Is there a list of 'catchall' codecs that i could install and remove the old ones

or is this nothing at all to do with the codec? - anyone PLEEEEEEEZE im going crazy Wink
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul 2003, 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the source format of your video? Did you capture it yourself, or is this something you got off the internet?

If it's a DivX or Xvid (as I suspect), make sure that, in TMPGEnc's "VFAPI plug-in" windows, you increase the priority of the Directshow reader. By default, TMPGenc will try to open them using the VfW or OpenDML readers, and those have problems with DivX / Xvid files.

This does not solve all problems with DivX / Xvid movies, however. I think part of the problem has to do with using one version of the codec to read movies created by another version.

If you have an editing program (ex., Premiere or Media Studio), try loading the AVI file into it and exporting to TMPGEnc using a frameserver.

RMN
~~~
movieweb

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul 2003, 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks , ill try the frameserver bit - however directshow is top of the list

what really rocks my boat is that if i encode the same file to vcd or svcd i dont get the problem - only with high bitrate (5000 - 6000) DVD encodes - so it cant really be the codec can it?

anyway - i give up - ive got myself the mainconcept encoder now - bloody ell it's fast!!! - dvd encoding at real time!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: