dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVDit PE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJB

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb 2003, 15:21    Post subject: DVDit PE Reply with quote

After a few succesful DVD burns I now get a message in DVDit when I try to add files. These are mpg's that were made usinging Avisynth and TMeg. The message is "DVDit could not find a suitable decoder, Please be sure you have a valid decoder intalled".

Didn't DVDit PE come with a decoder? What can I do to fix this problem?

Thank You
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb 2003, 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally use DVDit, but I remember seeing similar problems mentioned in the Sonic forums. DVDit does not have its own decoder; it comes with Ligos, and uses it to play back MPEG-2. I think that error is usually caused by a conflict between two decoders.

I found this solution at the Ligos site (I don't know if it works):
Quote:

1) Go to the Windows Start Menu

2) Go to Run

3) Type mplayer2 and click OK to open Windows Media Player 6.x

4) Open an MPEG-2 file in the Player to activate the Ligos MPEG-2 Decoder

5) Go to File | Properties and click on the Advanced... button

6) Double click "Ligos MPEG Video Decoder" in the list box to open the Playback Properties menu

7) Un-check "Use Overlay Mixer", and click OK

After applying these new settings, DVDit! should be able to recognize all DVD-Video compliant MPEGs files.

Another solution that I found in some forums is this: open the MPEG-2 file in Media Player, press play, then press pause, and without closing Media Player, import the file into DVDit. If it imports correctly, you can then close Media Player.

Hope this helps.

RMN
~~~
MJB

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb 2003, 22:15    Post subject: DVDit failure Reply with quote

I tried both suggestions you made. The overlay box was not checked. I reinstalled Ligos 3.5 and there is no change.

I guess it's time to find a better DVD Authoring program. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank You
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb 2003, 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try loading other MPEG-2 files (preferably files that have worked in the past), to see if the problem is with that specific file, or if it's something about your system's configuration.

As to the authoring programs: I normally use DVD Maestro, but it's not being sold anymore (Apple bought Spruce Tech and killed their PC software). From what I've heard, ReelDVD and DVD Workshop are the best "prosumer" authoring programs in the market right now. Impression Pro also looks good on paper, but I've been told it has a certain tendency to crash. Sonic Foundry and Ahead are also moving into the DVD authoring market. I'm not a big fan of Sonic Foundry's interfaces and I think Ahead's program (Nero Vision Express) is aimed at the low-end, but they might be worth checking out, too.

Most of these programs have demo versions, so you can try them before buying.

RMN
~~~
MJB

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb 2003, 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried another file but it was rendered out by Matrox IPB. As you know the file is in an AVI wrapper. DVDit took that with no problem. It seems like only mpg files created by Tmpeg are the problem.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003, 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... would you happen to have a Matrox RT2X00 card? And if so, did DVDit come bundled with it? I remember reading somewhere that the version of DVDit that came with Matrox cards was specifically adapted to work with the Matrox codecs. You might try asking in the Sonic forums to see if someone has more info.

If not, it's possible that DVDit is rejecting the file because it thinks some settings are "illegal", even if they're not. Try these more "conservative" settings:

• Maximum bitrate: 8000 or less
  • Minimum bitrate: 2000 or more
  • Padding: Enabled
  • Closed GOP: Enabled
  • P-pictures: 6 or less
  • B-pictures: 2 or less

Also, if the file you were trying to import had sound, try a video-only file.

RMN
~~~
MJB

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003, 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded the DVDit that came with the Matrox RT2500 bundle. In fact it was called MyDVD at the time.

As far as illegal type files, using your bit rate calculator for a 14 minute project I used what was suggested. 8000 CBR and all though all the other selections in the Tempg window were grayed out they had the correct settings.

Since I'm using AVISynth to TMpg why would it matter if I'm not using Matrox codes?

I'll remove DVDit PE and reinstall the MyDVD. I'll let you know what happens next.

Thank You
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003, 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error you're getting is from the MPEG decoder. If this decoder is specifically written to work only with the Matrox files, it might complain when it receives files with slightly different settings (or that are not tagged as "Matrox" files). If you bought the upgrade from Sonic, though, it's unlikely it's a "branded" version; it should be the same as any other DVDit PE (ie, a piece of crap, but a generic piece of crap, not proprietary Very Happy).

> As far as illegal type files, using your bit rate calculator
> for a 14 minute project I used what was suggested.

Yes, and the file would probably have worked perfectly in Maestro or SpruceUp or DVD Workshop, etc.. But MyDVD / DVDit sometimes insist a file has "illegal settings" even when it doesn't. Which is why I suggested making sure the GOPs were closed and that the bitrate was never higher than 8000 or lower than 2000.

> all the other selections in the Tempg window
> were grayed out

Load "unlock.mcf" (in the "extra" folder , inside TMPGEnc's folder). Another setting that often causes DVDit to reject files is "Output interval of sequence header". Make sure it's set to 1. Also, as I mentioned above, if the file had audio, try a file without audio (just to make sure DVDit is complaining about the video settings, and not the audio settings).

RMN
~~~
MJB

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003, 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the problem. ArcSoft Software Suite. I deleted the program, restarted the computer. Opened DVDit LE and I was able to drag the mpg file into the file strip. It's all working now.

Thanks for the help. I looked at screen shots of DVD Maestro. I will try and find a copy. Again, thank you for your intelligent solutions.
MJB

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003, 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

In trouble again. I told you that the LE version worked after removing some programs. I removed LE and reinstalled PE and the problem has returned. I went back to LE and the problem is still there.

I'm ready to throw this system into the street. PowerDVD I thought could be a problem. Makes no diffrence. Wether installed or not the problem persists.

I don't think the problem is with Matrox or different file settings. I have been able in the past to author DVD's without problems. Looks like I'll have to render Matrox IPB then use DVDit. That is the only way it will work. And concider that DVDit PE is a $500.00 program, what a waste. I think Sonic should head back to the drawing board on that one.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003, 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the only advice that I give everyone who asks me about authoring programs is "whatever you do, don't buy DVDit PE". Some time ago (in Sonic's forums) I defined DVDit as "masochistware". I haven't seen the latest versions, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

I suspect the problem does have something to do with the overlay. For some reason DVDit isn't able to start the Ligos decoder, and produces that error message (blaming the file instead of blaming itself).

If you can, try completely uninstalling Ligos, and leaving PowerDVD installed. I have no idea what DVDit will try to do in those circumstances, but maybe it'll use Power DVD's decoder instead (that, in my experience, is actually better than Ligos).

RMN
~~~
MJB

PostPosted: Sun 23 Feb 2003, 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I removed Ligos 3.5. I made sure PowerDVD was working properly. I reinstalled DVDit LE.

When I loaded DVDit the mpg file was already in the file window. I dragged it into the Play First holder. Then I created the DVD folder. Everything worked. I then deleted the mpg file from the file window. Attempted to reload the file and there it was again, the same error message.

I restarted DVDit and was able to load the mpg file again without problems.

It seems to me that the program is fragmented. I might need a disk frag. But for now I'm leaving things alone.

Have you ever concidered using Lindows instead of Windows?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Feb 2003, 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disk fragmentation doesn't cause any errors; it just makes disk access slightly slower.

Regarding Lindows: no, I haven't. Lindows is basically a Linux distribution optimised for Windows emulation. The Windows emulation is far from perfect, though and, for me at least, part of the fun of Linux is the fact that it's different from Windows. If I want Windows, I use Windows. If I want Linux, I definitely don't want it to look or behave like Windows. Lindows is a good choice for low-cost, office PCs, because it's much cheaper than Windows and will look and feel familiar to people used to Windows.

For desktop use, and especially for DCC (digital content creation - animation, music, video editing, etc.) Windows (especially Windows 2000 / XP Pro) is by far the best choice right now. Linux is great for servers and perfectly acceptable for office use. But it has very few native DCC applications, and the Windows versions that run under emulation take a pretty big performance hit. Macs have good DCC software (though the choice is more limited than on Windows) but their hardware is too slow to make them a viable choice in many areas (and this is without even considering the cost, that tilts the scales even more in the x86's favour).

As long as you steer clear from some known problem-causers (such as Creative Labs' drivers, MSIE + Outlook, etc.), Windows can be both stable and secure. In the end, those things depend more on who configures and administers the system than they depend on the operating system itself.

RMN
~~~
MJB

PostPosted: Sun 2 Mar 2003, 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking for a operating system that won't crash. Premeire has all kinds of problems that bewilder most. When Premier has a problem Win2k will shut it down. When importing graphic files Premier will hiccup and act like there's a corrupt file. But no, it's not corrupt.

I also have to surmise that DVDit gives problems at times. This is due to poorley written program language. But I suppose that for the price one should not expect perfect!

Thank you for your assistance.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 5 Mar 2003, 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premiere cannot crash Windows 2000. In fact, no "normal" program can crash Windows 2000 (or XP Pro, or NT). If your system is crashing, you have either a hardware problem or a buggy driver (it can be indirectly caused by a program crash, but if the hardware and drivers are reliable, only the program will crash, not the system).

If you tell Windows not to reboot automatically (in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and recovery), you can see the file that's causing the crash. If it's always the same file, it's probably a bad driver. If it's in random files, it's probably a hardware problem.

Make sure all your drivers are updated with one exception: Creative Labs' drivers ("Liveware") - if you have any Creative Labs cards. Don't install them at all; use Windows' default drivers.

The most common hardware problem is bad RAM. To test it, use MemTest86.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Authoring All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: