dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why can't i play my dvd's i created??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharoneke

PostPosted: Sat 31 May 2003, 22:03    Post subject: Why can't i play my dvd's i created?? Reply with quote

Shocked

hello there dvd experts!

i have a problem and i cant get it out of my head Embarassed
yesterday i bought myself a brand new dvd burner +/- , i had some homevideos on my computer and thought i might try and burn a dvd.
i converted the file in ulead dvd factory and everything looked mighty fine!! but when i was finished and try'd to play the dvd in my player(s)
(i own two an xwave and a proline 1040)and nothing happend Evil or Very Mad
i also try'd burning and converting the dvd with intervideo windvd 4'but that wouldnt help me much. i checked if my players support dvd on the internet but that seems to be allright they should play it without any problems
i choose for burning DVD pal and 2.4 speed (my burner supports 4 speed)
further there are no things to choose from in this programs.
the file i created the dvd from is a dv-avi should this be any problem?
i ussaly use tempenc to create my svcd and vcd and that never gave me any problems. i use platinum dvd+r 2.4 speed and the dvd burner is a NEC-1300 can anybody please please help me, because the dvd's are verry expensive and i had to throw away 3 allready Crying or Very sad

thanxs sharon
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 1 Jun 2003, 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing: until you have all the settings right, use RW discs so you don't waste money.

Regarding the discs you've already made: can you play them on your PC (using PowerDVD, for example)?

If you can play them on the PC but not on the set-top players, it's probably be a media or file order problem. DVD-ROM drives are usually able to read discs even if they have small errors. Set-top players are much more picky. Try a different brand of DVDs, or try burning with a different program if you have one (ex., PrimoDVD, Nero, etc.).

If you can't play it on the PC either, it's either a very bad media problem (so bad that not even a DVD-ROM drive can read the disc) or a file structure problem.

A few tests you should make:

1. After you convert the AVI file to M2V (or MPG, or whatever) using TMPGEnc, open the resulting file in PowerDVD (or WinDVD player) and see if it plays correctly.

2. If the first test was successful, author the DVD in your authoring program (DVD Factory), compile it to a title set folder (VIDEO_TS), and then open that folder with PowerDVD and see if it plays correctly.

3. Assuming everything above worked, record a DVD-RW disc and test it on the PC (using PowerDVD, etc.).

4. Try the RW disc on your set-top players. If it doesn't work, don't despair. RW discs are incompatible with many set-top players. Go back to your PC and burn a DVD-R disc instead. DVD-R has the best compatibility of all recordable formats (close to 80%).

RMN
~~~
sharoneke

PostPosted: Sun 1 Jun 2003, 16:35    Post subject: Burning dvd Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!! Smile

i'm gonna try what you have told me but i have one last question,
they told me that i should use dvd+r for dvd video and that the dvd-r
are better to use when youre making playstation games for example.
The movies i have created are playing verry good on my pc but not on the stand alone players
im gonna buy me some dvd rw's and try some options, you think nero is the best to use for burning? i not sure what is should pick when it comes to the format, is that udf??
well anyway thanks again hope i have sucses with the dvd's now

greetings sharon Wink
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 1 Jun 2003, 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD-R has slightly better overall compatibility than DVD+R. It's an older format, so more models were tested with it. Playstations have problems with recordable DVDs in general, but I would expect them to work better with DVD+R than with DVD-R (Sony was, along with Philips, one of the main sponsors fo the DVD+R format, while DVD-R was backed mainly by Pioneer).

Nero is not the best program for burning, especially if you burn the VIDEO_TS folder directly (instead of creating a disc image with your authoring program). I only suggested Nero because it has a free trial version. If you have access to better DVD-recording software (such as PrimoDVD), use that instead.

Anyway, Nero should work fine as long as you give it a pre-compiled image file (it has some problems with TS folders). I've never used Ulead's DVD Factory, but I expect it has an option to create a disc image (which you can load into Nero by selecting File -> Burn image).

The idea here is to try recording the disc on two (or more) different programs, in case the problem lies in the recording.

If the discs play on your PC that's a good sign; it means the files themselves are okay. So the problem is either in the media, the file order or the players. These can be solved by using a different brand of media, a different recording program or, of course, different players.

If you have a chance, try playing back the existing discs on a Pioneer player (such as model DV-444). In my experience, Pioneer players have the best compatibility with recordable DVDs in general. Several players claim they read recorable formats but in fact have problems with them.

As to the media itself, I've had good results with Maxell, Sony and Pioneer. Some no-name brands are good, but most aren't. This is likely to change as recordable DVD manufacturing improves, but until then you're better off buying brand-name DVDs, that have usually gone through better quality control. Also, recording at the lowest possible speed may improve compatibility, especially if the media isn't very good.

RMN
~~~
sharoneke

PostPosted: Tue 3 Jun 2003, 17:44    Post subject: dvd burning Reply with quote

thanks again

i trying some programs and i think i know how it works now
the only thing is that if i create dvd folders with dvd factory there only
is one folder video ts and not an audio ts or isnt that needed?
after i created the folders i make an image with nero and try to play it with my virtual dvd drive if it is anny good i will burn the cd
got me some rw now that better
so im working on that now think its gonna work finnaly!! Rolling Eyes

greetings sharon
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 3 Jun 2003, 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AUDIO_TS folder is only required for audio DVDs (a format that never really took off). The movie's sound is all in the VIDEO_TS.

Compiling to the TS folder(s) is a good way to test your project, but I woulnd't recommend using Nero to burn them directly to a DVD (or to build an image from them). The reason being that the files in a video DVD need to be in a specific order, and Nero sometimes gets that order wrong. The result is the disc plays on PCs but not on (any) set-top players. Some programs (ex., PrimoDVD) are able to handle TS folders correctly, but with Nero it's always a risk. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

If DVD Factory has an option to compile to a disc image, use that instead, and then open the image in Nero (select "load image" or "burn from image" in Nero's file menu). In a disc image the file order is locked.

RMN
~~~
daucula

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul 2003, 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sharoneke.

Just some thing you should know:

All files and folders (VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS) for a DVD MUST be UPPER cases.

You can download "Imagetool" from internet nad run this instead of run nero directly (It also requires nero to be installed because immagetool use nero "engine" to burn the DVD)

I had many problems with NERO when I burnt VIDEO_TS directly to the disk, but since I use imagetool, more than 100 DVD are done without any problem any more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Recording All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: