dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doing a test before the real thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
subferno

PostPosted: Sat 6 Sep 2003, 15:24    Post subject: doing a test before the real thing Reply with quote

Is there a way I can test my Tmpg settings by reencoding a smaller file instead using actual files from a DVD?

I keep getting problems and I dont want to spend 20 hours reencoding a DVD just to find out it is out of synch again.

Problems that I am having:
Jerky video playback
audio out of synch

Possible Causes:
Wrong field order (top first or bottom first)?
Interlaced or progresse?
23.97 or 29.97 FPS?
Probably others?

I loaded up my video stream into Tmpg to have it reencode. The settings in Tmpg were automatically changed to interlaced, 29.97, bottom first. Should I trust these settings or change them?

Thanks
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 6 Sep 2003, 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the "source range" filter to encode only a section of the source file. You can check sync and playback smoothness using a software player (ex., PowerDVD), but the only (or at least the best) way to test for the correct interlacing order is to play back the DVD on a TV set. If your set-top player can read RW discs, you can re-use the same disc and save some money.

As to the settings, I wouldn't recommend trusting TMPGEnc; sometimes it gets things wrong. If you manage to open the source file in an editing program you can usually check the real settings by asking to see the file properties.

RMN
~~~
subferno

PostPosted: Sun 7 Sep 2003, 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and remuxed my video and sound together using Ifoedit. Ifoedit created all the necessary DVD files. I used both Ifoedit and WinDVD to play the Vobs but both resulted in different problems.

Ifoedit started off with the wrong video from some other chapter other than the menu. The sound came from the menu though.

WinDVD started off with the menu but the sound came from the wrong chapter. In addition, nothing on the DVD menu is selectable. I can select them in Ifoedit though.

If I want to edit out pre menu intros (FBI warning, etc) and extra trailers, do I need to do it before or after I reencode the vobs? I may have changed an entry point to the FBI logos at the beginning, which may be one of the problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: