dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphics card for high-resolution 3D modelling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003, 15:38    Post subject: Graphics card for high-resolution 3D modelling Reply with quote

I've just bought a new monitor (an Eizo T966). I didn't actually break mine, but I'm buying a new home system and had to start somewhere. The monitor is great, but to get the most out of it I'm going to need a new graphics card. My current home card is (don't laugh) a GF2MX.

I've resisted upgrading because this particular (OEM) GF2MX has very good image quality (most GeForce cards have very crappy video components). But at 1600x1200 in 3D modelling programs I no longer get frames per second - I get seconds per frame. And at 1600x1200 @ 100 Hz, even this card starts to show its DAC's limits (I get some annoying halos and gosts and focus problems).

So, I'm looking for a card with the following characteristics:

• Must support 1600x1200 at an acceptable speed.
  • Must support two monitors with a small impact in performance.
  • Must have good image quality at 1600x1200 @ 100 Hz.
  • Must make less noise than an F-16.
  • Must not cost a fortune.

The first item rules out anything below a GF4. The second item rules out any card from ATi. The third item rules out most GF4 cards I've seen. The fourth rules out any GFFX. The fifth rules out the Quadros.

Do you know of any GF4 Ti4200 or Ti400 that has good image quality at 1600x1200 @ 100 Hz? I'm currently leaning towards the Albatron Ti4200P Turbo. I've read a few comments saying it had good image quality, but I don't know if this was at 640x480 or at a high resolution.

Another possibility is the 3Dlabs Wildcat VP560. Does anyone have one of these? How good is the image quality?

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: